Wednesday, September 8, 2010

VoraX says Hello to Cygwin

In my previous post I was talking about GNU Screen and how nice this tool may be used in connection with VoraX and other terminal applications. The only problem was on Windows where there's no multiplexing tools available except for GNU Screen on Cygwin. Some Windows guys are happy with this Console but, in my opinion, this is far from what GNU Screen provides. And, if it happens to be on both, Unix and Windows, it's quite nice to have the same tool available, isn't it?

Well, starting from today, VoraX 2.2 is available for download and, as you maybe already guessed, it provides a Cygwin interface. If you don't like Cygwin then this new VoraX interface is not for you, but all of you who appreciate the UNIX style shell and tools on Windows I think will be glad to use VoraX on this platform. You'll also benefit from GNU Screen, ssh, bash scripting etc.

Installing vim with ruby support on cygwin is not quite a blink of an eye therefore I'm going to come back with a new post explaining in detail how to do it.

And because I use to let people know what every new VoraX version brings to light I will also briefly mention the refresh capability of the output buffer. If, for example, you monitor the progress of a rollbacking transaction, it is very likely to repeatedly execute the same query. It is a little bit awkward to go everytime into the sql buffer and to execute that query. Instead, in VoraX 2.2 you may simply press R while in the output buffer and the last executed query will be re-executed automatically.

VoraX 2.2 fixes also some bugs and, in addition, has some tweaks which improve the
fetching performance, especially on Unix.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Welcome to Cygwin! Make sure you give the mintty terminal a try, where vim and screen are a lot happier than in the default console. 256-colour support, xterm keycodes, easily resizable.

Alexandru Tică said...

Thanks! Sure Andy, I use mintty for my cygwin console instead of that stupid command window and I'm more than happy with it. I also tried rxvt but I like mintty more. I'm going to write a detailed post about VoraX on cygwin and I'll definitely recommend mintty.